- What is Dingtone?
- What can I do with Dingtone?
- How can I get Dingtone?
- What mobile devices does Dingtone support?
- Can I install Dingtone on multiple devices?
- Is Dingtone free?
- Do I need a data plan to use Dingtone?
- I don't have 3G or 4G. Can I still use Dingtone?
- How much data does Dingtone typically use?
- How can I find out if my friends use Dingtone?
- How can I invite my friends to Dingtone?
- Why does Dingtone need my phone number to activate the service?
- Will Dingtone drain my battery quickly?
- I changed my phone number: can I continue using Dingtone?
- I lost my device! How can I deactivate Dingtone on the lost device?
Dingtone is a mobile application for iPhone and Android. Using the app, you can make unlimited free phone calls, send free text messages, and instantly share pictures, videos, and your location with friends, family members and other Dingtone users. The sound quality on Dingtone is usually better than the quality of a regular phone call. Dingtone can assign a real phone number to you, which can receive calls and texts from anyone. Dingtone can also turn your phone into a real Walkie Talkie.
1. Make unlimited free phone calls with superior sound quality
2. Turn your phone into a functional Walkie Talkie. Simply push to talk!
3. Send unlimited free text messages
4. Instantly share pictures, videos, and your location with contacts
5. Free group conference calls
6. Create group chats with up to hundreds participants
7. Seamless Facebook integration. Make free calls and send messages to Facebook friends
8. Call any landline or mobile phone numbers in over 200 countries with super low rates
9. Get a real phone number that can receive calls and texts from anyone
Dingtone is a free mobile application. If you are using an
iPhone, an iPad, or an iPod Touch, please find and download the
app by searching “Dingtone” at the App
If you are using Android phone, please download Dingtone from Google Play.
1. iOS Devices: iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, iPad, iPad Mini, iPod
Touch. iOS verion 5.0 or newer;
2. Android Device: most Android smart phones. Android version 2.3.3 or newer;
3. Windows Phone or BlackBerry: no support yet, but we are working on it.
Absolutely! In fact, this is recommended for a unified communication experience. For example, you could install Dingtone on your iPhone and your iPad. As a result, you can pick up phone calls, send messages and receive messages on both devices simultaneously.
Yes, the Dingtone app is free to download and free to use. * A
data plan for your mobile device is required to use Dingtone.
Your carrier may charge for the data used by Dingtone.
* Certain premium features in Dingtone are not free to use. However, you can earn lots of free credits to pay for the premium service.
Yes. A data plan from your carrier or service provider is required to use Dingtone on a mobile device. However, if you use the app on an iPad or an iPod Touch and have consistent access to free WiFi, you don’t need a data plan.
The majority of Dingtone’s features still work well on older 2G
networks like EDGE or GPRS. Notable exceptions include the group
phone call feature, sharing large pictures and sending long video
If your device has consistent WiFi network connection, Dingtone will work perfectly. In most situations, Dingtone users can expect much higher communication quality via a WiFi connection than a 3G network.
It all depends on which Dingtone features you use. Here are the
estimated data usages for typical Dingtone features and volumes:
1. 30 minutes phone call: 3.5M
2. 1000 text messages: 300K
3. Share one picture: 64K
4. Share 2 minutes video clip: 1.6M
5. Share a map (location): 2K
You can see your monthly data usage inside your Dingtone app.
If your friends are in your address book and they have the Dingtone app installed on their phones, you will be able to see them in you Dingtone friends list. The Facebook integration feature allows you to see Facebook friends in the Dingtone App. You can also search for your friends via a phone number or an email address.
The Dingtone app has a built-in invitation function. You can send invitation to your friends via SMS or email. You can also post information about Dingtone to your Facebook wall or Twitter so that your friends know you are using Dingtone.
An activation code will be sent to your phone by SMS. Your phone number will also be used to find friends on Dingtone. For example if a friend has your phone number in their address book, that friend can identify you as a Dingtone user in their app.
When Dingtone is idle in the background, it uses almost no network or computing power. When you use low-drain Dingtone features like voice call, Push-to-Talk or message, the app uses relatively little power.
Yes, you can continue using Dingtone. However, it is recommended that you deactivate Dingtone on your phone and re-activate it with the new phone number. If you do not do this, contacts with your new phone number may not be able to find you on Dingtone.
If you subscribe to a service like iCould, you can remote-wipe
your phone. After that, you really don’t need do anything
special. Otherwise, you can take the following steps to stop
Dingtone working on the lost device:
1. Install the Dingtone app on your new phone (assuming your new phone has kept the same phone number)
2. Activate Dingtone with the same phone number
3. When Dingtone is activated on your new phone, you will see a warning message:
Selecting “Deactivate Other Devices” will stop Dingtone working on you lost device.
Make Phone Calls via Dingtone
- How is a Dingtone phone call different from a regular phone call?
- Can I call friend who does not have Dingtone?
- Is it free to make international calls?
- Where can I check the calling rates for cheap international calls?
- How can I get more Dingtone credits for making cheap calls?
- Can I use Dingtone to call my Facebook friends?
- Does Dingtone support group calling?
- Can I make calls without Internet connection?
Dingtone phone call is transmitted via high-quality VoIP, which uses a wideband voice encoding technology. In most situations, Dingtone phone calls have superior voice clarity in comparison with regular phone calls. Dingtone phone calls are also completely free of charge.
Yes. You can call any landline or mobile phone number in over 200 countries at super low rates. Want free calls? Then don't forget to invite your friends to join Dingtone so you can make unlimited phone calls completely free of charge.
Yes! As long as your international friend is also a Dingtone
user, your calls will be absolutely free no matter where your
Your international friend isn’t on Dingtone? Don’t worry. You can also make cheap international calls to any phone number in over 200 countries.
1. Enter "More" -> "Calling Rates" in the Dingtone app.
2. Select the country and enter the phone number to check the exact calling rate.
1. You can earn free credits by watching commercial videos or
2. You can purchase credits inside the Dingtone app.
Yes. Dingtone features seamless Facebook integration. As long as your Facebook friends have Dingtone on their phones, you can enjoy unlimited free phone calls and text messages!
Yes. Dingtone supports group conference calls with up to 8 participants. You can invite people into the current call at any time. Moving certain Dingtone contacts into a group can make the call setup process even simpler: at that point, you can simply click a button and invite all the group members into the conference call.
If you live in the United States, you can choose "Local Dial-in"
to place international calls. Local dial-in does not require an
You can also choose "Callback". For further information, please enter "More" -> "Call Settings" in your Dingtone app.
Send Messages via Dingtone
- Is it free to send messages to friends in other countries?
- How is a Dingtone message different from a SMS?
- Can I send messages to friend who does not use Dingtone?
Yes! As long as your friend is also a Dingtone user, sending a message will be absolutely free no matter where your contact lives.
SMS messages are the traditional messaging system that carriers use to transmit across the cell phone network. SMS messages are text only, and are limited to 140 characters. They are not an example of real-time communication. Additionally, SMS messaging can become expensive. On the other hand, Dingtone messages leverage the advantages of mobile Internet. They are real-time and interactive. They can also deliver multimedia messages. They are more versatile, too: for example, you can see your friend typing a reply. Dingtone messages are also completely free of charge.
Yes. Through Dingtone, you can get a real U.S. phone number which can be used to send texts to – and receive texts from – anyone whether they use Dingtone or not. Don't forget to invite your friends to Dingtone so that you can send unlimited messages completely free of charge.
Dingtone Phone Number
- What is a Dingtone phone number?
- What can I do with a Dingtone phone number?
- Are Dingtone phone numbers free?
- Do I permanently own my Dingtone phone numbers?
- Can I forwards calls to my own phone number?
- Can I setup voicemail for Dingtone phone numbers?
Dingtone can assign you one or multiple real U.S. phone numbers. These phone numbers are exactly the same as phone numbers assigned by Verizon, AT&T and Sprint and can be used to call and text anyone…even people not using Dingtone.
Your Dingtone phone number is a real U.S. phone number so you can receive calls and texts from anyone. Get a Dingtone phone number for your iPod Touch or iPad and it becomes a real phone. Get a Dingtone phone number for your iPhone and you’ve got a second (or third or fourth) line. With multiple Dingtone numbers, each can be used for a dedicated purpose. Use one for selling on Craigslist. Use another for posting on Facebook. Use yet another as a private number for family only. The possibilities are endless.
Yes and No. The first Dingtone phone number is free for our U.S users. Note: Certain conditions apply. After that, additional numbers cost 100+ Dingtone credits each.
No. Dingtone phone numbers are the property of Dingtone, Inc. We lease them to you with certain conditions and we reserve the right to revoke your number if those conditions aren’t met. Dingtone phone numbers are expensive and limited so we assign them to serious users only. You must use your Dingtone phone number at least once per month to keep it active. It doesn’t matter how you use it – make/receive calls or send/receive texts – as long as you use it. Inactive phone numbers will be reassigned to other Dingtone users without notification or refund.
Yes. You can easily set up call forwarding for any of your Dingtone phone numbers. Calls to a Dingtone phone number can be forwarded to any other phone number in any country. Note: Call forwarding involves two calls. As a result, you will be charged for both the incoming call and the forwarded call.
Yes. Dingtone provides live and visual voicemail service. You can easily set up voicemail for any of your Dingtone phone numbers and use the default voice greeting or record your own.
Walkie Talkie (Push to Tak)
- How does Dingtone turn my phone into a Walkie-Talkie (Push to Talk, or PTT)?
- How is Dingtone different from PTT service from cellular carriers?
- Do I need to keep Dingtone open to receive talk?
- Does Dingtone support group Walkie Talkie?
If both you and your contact are active on Dingtone, you have the option to push a button to talk. Your friend will immediately hear you and he can reply to you by pushing the same button in his Dingtone app…just like a real Walkie Talkie. The Dingtone Walkie Talkie even works after you lock your phone.
PTT service from a cellular carrier such as Sprint Direct Connect is a very useful feature. However, you have to use a dedicated cell phone from that carrier and you have to be a paid subscriber. Dingtone does away with all those restrictions and turns your smartphone into a PTT-enabled-device that can be used with any carrier. On top of that, Dingtone PTT is completely free of charge.
No! You can receive Push to Talk even when your Dingtone app is closed and your phone is locked.
Yes. You can add up to 100 users in one Walkie Talkie conversation and any of them can instantly push to talk.
Dingtone Credit and Payment
- What is Dingtone credit?
- How do I get Dingtone credit?
- What payment type do you accept?
- Are Dingtone credits refundable?
- I didn't receive credits after completing offers
Dingtone credit is a virtual currency that you can use to make
cheap calls or send cheap texts anywhere in the world.
You can earn free Dingtone credits from our sponsors or you can purchase Dingtone credits directly from us.
1. You can earn 1-3 Dingtone credits by watching a commercial
2. You can earn 2-3 Dingtone credits by sharing Dingtone with your Facebook friends or posting on Twitter.
3. You can earn 1-10 Dingtone credits for checking in on your Dingtone app at least once a day.
4. You can earn 20 Dingtone credits for inviting a friend to join Dingtone. The more friends who join, the more credits you earn.
5. You can earn 25 Dingtone credits just by joining Dingtone.
6. You can earn HUNDREDS of Dingtone credits by completing sponsored offers from our sponsors.
7. You can buy Dingtone credits directly from us.
For Apple devices, we only accept payment through iTunes.
For Android devices, we accept PayPal and credit card.
No! Dingtone credits are non-refundable.
Sponsored offers are hosted by our sponsors. If you didn't
receive credits for completing an offer, please contact the
sponsor for further details. Here’s how:
1. Open your Dingtone app.
2. Enter "Get Credits" screen.
3. Tap ""Complete an Offer" button.
4. Tap either “?” (in the upper right corner) or “Missing Credits” (at the bottom of an offer) to contact the sponsor.
Usually the sponsor will response you within 24 hours.
Note: Please DO NOT contact Dingtone about missing credits.
Privacy and Advertisements
- How does Dingtone protect my privacy?
- Does the Dingtone app upload my entire address book to the Dingtone server?
- Does Dingtone display advertisements?
Not completely. Only the phone numbers and names of each contact in your address book are stored on the Dingtone servers. Personal information in your address book, such as addresses, company names and emails, etc are not used. Additionally, the stored phone numbers are encrypted in such a complex way that information extraction via malicious attack is virtually impossible. The phone numbers and names of your contacts are used to build your Dingtone friend list..
No. We care about user experience more than money.
More help ?
If the FAQ does not address your question or concern, please submit your issue or feedback to us by clicking here.
If you have any problems when using Dingtone, Please send an issue report via Dingtone App (open Dingtone -> Help & About Us -> Feedback or Report an Issue), which is the fastest way to have a problem solved. For business cooperation, please contact us via email@example.com